designing tables with multiple lengthy footnotes to be accessible for screen reader users

From: Pedlow, Robert <Robert.Pedlow@team.telstra.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:37:18 +1000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Dear all
        I have a question about designing data tables to be accessible for
screen reader users. The particular issue is that a number of the tables
have multiple and lengthy footnotes
In some cases the footnotes are several sentences. The tables are data
tables which are often also quite lengthy. This does not seem to be directly
dealt with by the WCAG but I am wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on
design strategies for this issue.

thanks
Dr Robert Pedlow
Telstra Research - Centre for Accessibility
770 Blackburn Rd. Clayton
Vic 3168
ph 03 9253-6373
fax 03 9253-6665