Re: Kynn's Soapbox: Accessibility and Usability (was: accessibility makeovers)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:17:35 -0800
To: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: Paul Bohman <paulb@cpd2.usu.edu>
At 1:37 PM -0800 3/29/01, Graham Oliver wrote:
>Kynn
>Thanks for your soapbox stuff, I enjoyed it and felt
>challenged by it at the same time.
>I would just like to ask you about one thing you said.
>
>>>can you even make a _good_ user interface for
>>>screenreaders, based on the graphical browser user's
>>>interface? No. No, you can't.
>
>Is this simply your opinion, or based on research?

Opinion, but a relatively informed one.  There's precious little
research on this particular topic -- I don't know of any usability
studies of screenreader users using "accessible" web designs
(compared with them using "inaccessible" designs or with
user-centric dynamic web interfaces).

Now, if one of you enterprising research geniuses out there wants
to work on this, I'll be glad to contribute as much help as my
schedule allows!

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>