question on embedded documents and screenreaders

From: Anthony Quinn <anthony@frontend.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:33:47 -0000
Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what the position is on embedding documents in HTML
pages. For example, if I am using a screen reader and click on a link to
view a document and I use IE5, it's possible to open a word document inside
the browser window. Can screen readers handle this?

As far as I am aware, it's possible to open Excel, Powerpoint and PDF within
the browser. My own feeling is that this is generally bad practise - unless
you warn people that the document will open within the window - because it
generally takes a long time to open the document, you get another set of
controls within the browser window, the document page view is a lot smaller,

 Anthony Quinn               Head of Interaction Design

   Frontend ~ Usability Engineering & Interface Design
   40 Westland Row, Dublin 2, Republic of Ireland

          Visit our Usability InfoCentre at:

 anthony.quinn@frontend.com       tel: +353 1 241 1600
 http://www.frontend.com          fax: +353 1 241 1601