RE: Any examples of <NOSCRIPT>?

At 06:33 PM 2/20/2001, Jim Thatcher wrote:
>I don't understand how you can say that they are providing "equivalent
>content" with their NOSCRIPT tag. The NOSCRIPT content says that when you
>leave the site with scripting enabled you will get an alert. You don't get
>that alert when scripting is turned off. The scripting content is the alert.
>
>It does NOT provide that "alert" content in alternative form --- or I am
>missing what you are trying to say?

This is where I think we are having some problems in communication.

The <noscript> element's content contains the following:

All external links to federal sites include an exit Java Script pop-up
disclaimer that includes the following language. "You are now leaving the
Section 508 website.  Thank you for visiting our site.  We welcome your
comments on how we can make our site more useful."

The "information" ("content") being conveyed is the thankyou and
the invitation for comments.  One way they are conveying it is with
a pop-up when you leave the site.  Another way to convey that
information is to tell you "you would see a pop-up, but since you
can't, here's what it would say."

So the Section508 site _is_ providing the information.  It's
just not providing it in a very clever or usable way.

If I were creating multiple edaptations for this site -- and for
this example we'll only concern ourselves with two, one for
javascript enabled and one for non-javascript -- I would take the
following approach instead:

(1) Eliminate <noscript> (which means it would no longer fit your
     request for an example! this is the point of edaptive web
     sites, to eliminate fall-throughs when possible)
(2) Make the javascript version function as it does now
(3) Make the non-javascript version redirect to a server-side
     script, rewriting outside URLs like this:
     http://www.section508.gov/cgi-bin/leaving?http://www.w3.org/
(4) Write a script (/cgi-bin/leaving) that forms a page like this:

       You are now leaving the Section 508 website.  Thank you for
       visiting our site.  All your base are belong to us.  We
       welcome your comments on how we can make our site more useful.

That way you don't -have- to use a <noscript>, and yet you still get
the same -effect- of a pop-up:  the "goodbye" message appears whenever
ANYONE leaves the site.

Which means that I haven't really provided you with a good <noscript>
use example?  Damn, I suck, I'll have to work on that later.  For now
I am behind on my Reef work. ;)

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison