Re: Animated GIFs and accessibility guidelines

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:33:00 -0500 (EST)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
cc: ADAM GUASCH-MELENDEZ <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I think the goal is stop, restart, step-through. The user agent guidelines
http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10 or group drafts publicly visible from their home
page http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA cover this kind of thing.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 08:52 AM 2/15/2001, ADAM GUASCH-MELENDEZ wrote:
  >Animated GIFs shouldn't be a problem, since they can be stopped by any
  >browser that can display them (at least among the major browsers - I'm not
  >sure if this is true for WebTV or other "internet appliances").

  I dunno, I feel that only "stop" and "restart" are not sufficient
  interface controls _if_ the GIF is going to be used to display
  information, especially textual information.  I think that's the main
  problem with the Bobby sponsor GIF.