Re: Animated GIFs and accessibility guidelines

It used to happen with a lot of screen readers, and animated gifs were onne
of the culprits.

It wouod be interesting to find out what screenreaders still cannot cope with
animations.

Also, people with photosensitive epilepsy can suffer from animations at
certain flash rates.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, David Woolley wrote:

  > I understood that movement on screens could cause screen readers to lose
  > their focus.  Does this happen with animated GIFs?  If so, is this a
  > concern?

  The real problem with animation is that it causes the human brain to
  lose its focus.  Most of the eye (the rods) is optimised for detecting
  the movement of predators and there are deeply embedded instincts to
  switch ones attention to any source of movement in the visual field.
  This is why banner adversts particularly like animation.