RE: onmouseover, onfocus, onclick

The point is that the popup menu constitutes an incremental and localized
expansion of the business at hand in the dynamic page.  By embedding action in
expanding and collapsing components, more context can be stably preserved for
all the action.  This is a virtue.

The problem is the same one that I posed to Jimmy about scripts in general:
Have we captured a sufficiently stable concept of the overall lay of the land
within which these local variations take place?  The eyes-free user is
probably
better off with more interactive transactions.  That is to say
opening/entering
the submenu is less automatic, more volitional and requiring a discrete
request
in the sound+keyboard user environment.  But the structure of the content is
the same, and is usable in either way.  There is a tree or fiber space
structure where there are minimized and expanded states of the submenu, the
minimized form explains the general nature of the business handled in the
expanded form.  The surrounding fabric relates the business of this
fragment to
the larger frame of business represented by the page and site and Web in the
large.   All this is amenable to schematization and comprehensible
structure-walking through any business the user wishes to conduct on the
page.
Including touring it all or drilling rapidly to a key bit and just doing it.

It does require that the content of all transient states be integrated into a
common virtual graph, and not hidden in opaque imperative language.  But it's
all doable in a univerally accessible fashion without giving up the functional
gains of the dynamic-page medium.

But the factorization of content into static content in HTML and dynamic
content lost in script is a serious barrier to making it work.   [$.02]

Al