Re: HTML Validation from browser (Opera 5)

From: Brian Kelly <b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:28:56 -0000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> iCab, available only for Macintosh, also offers this. You can validate
with
> the W3C validator or via BBEdit (a Macintosh authoring tool that
validates).
> For HTML there is also auto-validation built in, via a small smiley/frown
> icon.
>
> The browser is available from http://www.icab.de and claims to be the
first
> browser that fully supports HTML 4.0. It is the only graphics browser I
have
> used that shows up accesskeys, abbreviations and acronyms, and a few other
> features by default. It does HTML, Java/Javascript, but doesn't support
CSS
> in the current version. That is apparently on their to-do list.
>
> Other tools also have validation - HomeSite, an authoring tool from
Allaire,
> Amaya, a browser/authoring tool from W3C, asWedit, an authoring tool from
> alvasoft (not the same people as alva, who make screenreader and braille
> technology) are some of them. And there are a couple of other validators
on
> the web, too.

Actually you can add HTML validation capabilities to your Netscape and IE
browsers too.

See my article on "Extending Your Browser" at:

http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue19/web-focus/

See also <http://www.bookmarklets.com/>.  This has a number of
"bookmarklets" which might be useful for accessibility purposes (e.g.
removing background images).

Brian
Brian Kelly
UKOLN