RE: Screen readers and images

From: Mike Scott <mscott@msfw.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:06:26 -0600
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
The default behavior in JAWS (3.7) is to read "graphic, [alt text]" if the
alt tag is set, and completely ignore the image if the alt tag is not
present (or alt="").

There is a user setting for "Graphic Verbosity" that can be set to "All
Graphics" (the default setting is "Tagged Images"). Set to "All Graphics",
JAWS will read the URI of the image if it has no alt text. For example, JAWS
might read "graphic, images/mypicture.jpg".

IBM Home Page Reader 3 has the same default behavior as JAWS (except that it
doesn't say the word "graphic" ahead of the alt text). If the user checks
the setting: "Annonuce images with no alt text", HPR will read "image with
no alt text" followed by the uri (e.g. "images/mypicture.jpg") for images
without alt text.