Re: Client Side vs. Server Side Image Maps

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:50:21 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> The <area> element must contain "alt" information which enables them
> to be used with non-graphical browsers.

You can also use <a> elements, instead of <area> elements, which will
work on even the oldest of browsers.  I believe some recent browsers
have broken support for this, but it might only be Amaya that has the
problem.

There can be an advantage in providing both client and server side
handling.  Remember that 0,0 received at the server means "I don't
understand image maps, please send me a simple text navigation page".