Re: Consumers combat pop-ups with software, Tricks

From: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:52:25 -0800
To: laura.dangelo@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca, wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 08:56 AM 2/7/01, laura.dangelo@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca wrote:
><<Can you make a Javascript "Pop-up Window" accessible to screen readers (for
>those visually impaired) by including the "noscript" tag containing the text
>of the window?  A co-worker saw this on the WC3 site and says that it will
>allow  a screen reader to access the content. >>

Yes, I imagine this would work.

><< However, will it still be
>confusing for the visually imaired as indicated in the cnet artile?>>

Probably. The difficulty is that the new pop-ups grab the focus without
warning, so the user ends up on a screen that s/he didn't expect, &
inexperienced users might not know how to navigate around or out of the new
window.

I have also run into the opposite problem, where I hear advertising
material start, so I hit ALT+F4, thinking, "Ha! Got you, my pretty little
pop-up!" But then it turns out it wasn't a separate window, & I have
actually closed the browser completely, so I have to start all over again.

Usually, however, it's just harder to keep track of what's what as more &
more windows get opened on the screen.

The other difficulty is that the usual pop-up scenarios violate the WCAG
checkpoints on offering maximum user control. If they tell you in advance
that a separate window will open (as they occasionally do), this aspect is
taken care of.

><<Should the use of pop-up windows be avoided all together?>>
I wouldn't shed any tears ...

Patrick