RE: ABBR vs ACRONYM, round 57894174803

From: Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo <emmanuelle@teleline.es>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:01:05 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

Yes, WWW and SNCF are initialisms, and from the point of view of HTML 4.01
and of the natural language they are acronyms, and non abbreviations, but in
the example they appear marked as abbreviations.

Maybe the definitions of the natural language are irrelevant in front of the
definitions in HTML 4.01, but I suppose that the authors created the two
elements with the intention that they completed different functions and I
suppose that will have been based in the existent difference in the natural

If the authors sought that the abbreviations included to the acronym, for
what reason to create two different elements?

Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo
Coordinadora del SIDAR
E-mail: coordina@sidar.org <mailto:coordina@sidar.org>