RE: ABBR vs ACRONYM, round 57894174803

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:52:37 -0800
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:42 PM 2/5/2001 , Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>Sure, IE "explains" ABBR (via mouse-over pop-up) but does nothing for
>ACRONYM.  Like everyone else, this is helpful for people with learning
>disabilities.  I choose between ABBR and ACRONYM based on a faint irrational
>hope that the next generation of screen readers will make some distinction
>(spell-out vs. pronounce-as-word) between the two.

If they do this, they will be in violation of the HTML 4.01 spec;
lack of compliancy by browsers is a problem, remember?

According to the HTML 4.01 spec, neither <abbr> nor <acronym> should
have any specific pronunciation rules associated with them; this
should be entirely done via style sheets.

--Kynn

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison
Customer Management/Team Edapta