RE: HTML validator

From: Robert Neff <rneff@bbnow.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 12:44:55 -0600
To: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Dave wrote>  I don't know of a way of doing this, but it's rather academic
because
no browsers implement any particular level completely.

Rob's reply>  Correct, but if I were to use the cross-browser check list,
most of my work could be eliminated or reduced if I could check for the
Specification Level.  I would then only have to worry about the unique
properties of the browsers and there is a compliance matrix for that.
Basically trying to reduce work.  Furthermore, if the browser version is
stated in a contract or if this is on an Intranet or Extranet with
controlled access, then I would easily use this.

But aren't the user agents (browsers) supposed to be complying with user
agent guidelines...in the future? <grin>

Thanks!