RE: President's New Freedom Initiative on disability - Clarification Sought

Graham,

At 05:45 PM 2/1/01 -0800, Graham Oliver wrote:
>Just looking at the 'posting conditions' for this
>group....
>
>(This mailing list is for..) Activity in terms of
>meeting agenda, presentations being made, results, but
>also exchange ideas, and give input to the working
>group

More specific info about using the WAI Interest Group mailing list is at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG/Overview.html#Uselist

Also see the charter for the WAI Interest Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG/charter2

I'm not sure where you are quoting from.

>This seems to fit in the 'exchange ideas'?

Absolutely! I wasn't asking Rob not to post the message; I thanked him for
posting the information.

>W3C are also clear on only posting to _one_ group, so
>if this doesn't get posted here, where would it get
>posted?

Hopefully his info will get posted on a number of different mailing lists.

>Do we need clearer guidelines on the type of postings
>acceptable in this list?

We have some basic guidelines, which I've pointed to above. They reflect
concerns that arise most frequently in complaints that we receive about the
list.

Length is one of the big concerns; therefore, since the whole campaign
statement that Rob sent was so long, and much of it not relevant to Web
accessibility, and he said he might re-post it in the future, I asked him
to only post a pointer to a URI, and/or to excerpt the part that was
relevant to Web accessibility. He wrote back right away and agreed.

>I would be loath to miss the opportunity of seeing
>something like Robert's post. It seems relevant to me
>even though I live and work in New Zealand.

Again I completely agree with you. My comment about the U.S.-Centric nature
of the message wasn't a lack of interest in sharing info & strategies -- I
think that is vital to our work in Web accessibility -- but rather to note
that the message was framed as "the President..." whereas the readers of
this list, which is international, have many different heads of state.

This is actually an issue that we get a lot of complaints about also --
that many people writing on this list write their messages as though all
the other participants also live in the U.S. (actually we have
participation from over 30 countries, the last time I counted). I should
have explained myself better about that part in my message to Rob; and I
should probably add something like "Remember that this is an international
list, and not all readers share the same context" to the "Using the WAI IG
Mailing List" section.

I'm also aware that there's much more activity going on around Web
accessibility in different countries than what shows up on the WAI IG
mailing list. Some of this information we exchange in the Education and
Outreach Working Group, but I invite people to share information on this
list on Web accessibility developments in whatever country you're in.

>Clarification Sought.

Hopefully this was clearer than my earlier comment today. Thanks for your
question.

>TIA
>Graham Oliver

Regards,