Re: use of alt attributes in decorative images

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:33:02 -0800
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@home.com>
Cc: "Frank Tobin" <ftobin@uiuc.edu>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
(Kynn wrote:)
>They should have ALT="" if they are -purely- visual decoration.
>You can use TITLE="Picture of a bird on a branch" or the
>LONGDESC attribute if you need to add further explanation to these

Actually, I would say that using that in title _is_ appropriate,
as it's a statement of what purpose and function the element
serves on the page.  "Picture of..." should never be in ALT
but I think it is very appropriate for TITLE of an image.

Frank, as you can see, there is often some disagreement about
how best to mark up certain parts of a web page.

Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                http://kynn.com/
Technical Developer Relations, Reef           http://www.reef.com/
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain Internet   http://idyllmtn.com/
Contributor, Special Ed. Using XHTML     http://kynn.com/+seuxhtml