Re: Accessibility of federal statistical tables

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:39:33 -0500
To: "'Steven McCaffrey'" <SMCCAFFR@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Cc: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

In Guideline 3, the WCAG 1.0 text uses PRE in an explicit counter-example:
Furthermore, using presentation markup rather than structural markup to
convey structure (e.g., constructing what looks like a table of data with an
HTML PRE element) makes it difficult to render a page intelligibly to other

And then, in the text of Guideline 5 one reads:  <Q>Tables should be used to
mark up truly tabular information ("data tables").</Q>

I could not, however, find a specific checkpoint that addresses this issue!

I understand that JAWS is better understanding this formatting than some
competing screen reading products.