Re: Caution about Style Sheets

You have overlooked checkpoint 6.1: Organize documents so they may be read
without style sheets. For example, when an HTML document is rendered without
associated style sheets, it must still be possible to read the document.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Bill Kules wrote:

  "Leonard R. Kasday" wrote:

  > Another thing that can go wrong is to use CSS classes that mean something,
  > e.g. define a class that means "out of stock" which shows up in, say,
  > italic or a particular font.  When you turn off style sheets there's no way
  > to tell that an item is a member of that class, unless you have some
  > redundant marking.

  I agree that this would be a problem.  I'm wondering
  whether any of the WAI Guidelines directly address it.
  Checkpoint 2.1 prevents you from using color as the
  only status indicator, but doesn't address italics
  or font changes.  Certainly the implication would
  be that you should not depend on any presentational
  markup (alternatively, that doesn't have equivalent
  functional text?), but I haven't seen this in the
  checkpoints.  Have I overlooked something, or should
  2.1 perhaps be extended beyond just color?

  Bill