RE: Simplicity of Authoring and Accessibility Tools

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:19:32 -0800
To: "'Kynn Bartlett'" <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>, "'WAI Interest Group \(E-mail\)'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Kynn:
"(I will and do write XSLT to create XHTML, but that's pretty much
different from what we're talking about here, I think.)"

No, that's my point. If you're writing new pages in HTML, why not use XHTML
instead of a bastardized HTML 3.2 filled with proprietary tags? (Note: this
is a rhetorical question, Kynn.) Yes, it would be best to write them in XML
with an XSLT transformation applied to make them XHTML, but my point was to
simplify things, not to further complicate them. The people I'd like to see
using XHTML are the people currently coding pages using bad WYSIWYG editors
or hand-coding with obsolete code. XHTML, despite the X in its name, is
actually simpler than current practice. They didn't ADD elements, they took
them away.

I think this discussion has played itself out, Kynn. Let's just agree to
disagree, eh?

Charles Munat