Re: Simplicity of Authoring and Accessibility Tools

David Poehlman wrote:

> see comments in line below.

Yes, it could have easily have gone in another direction than print but
not just any direction. It had to have resonance and meaning for the
users. And though the web was becoming quite usable for you there were
millions of people who found it daunting, intimidating and unusable for
daily tasks. Pre GUI the web/internet was a play ground for academics
and computer enthusiasts rather than Joe the real-estate agent, or
Martha the product manager.

>  Yes there is lots of room for improvement but we should be wary
> of the one step forward two steps back possibility.
>
> Changing the tools to create proper HTML and making Style sheets
> work in wisiwig editors will be much easier than changing the
> majority of people.
> dp: "if you build it, They will come!"  Aren't you likely to
> change the people if you change the tools?  those who resist the
> changes needed now will still resist the changes and so will not
> use the tools if they can doge them.

If this were true not one would be using the computer. Resistance is not inflexibility nor is change necessarily progress. Change the tools in a way that is counter productive and you get the effect you described. i.e. using a metaphor of the internal combustion engine for a main stream computer application. Most people don't know how it works and though they drive a car, most don't care to know how internal combustion works.