RE: Simplicity of Authoring and Accessibility Tools

At 8:32 PM -0800 1/18/01, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>I'm especially horrified to learn that the county where Anne works lets
>pretty much *anyone* post to their official site. I think that there is a
>misunderstanding among many laypersons that the Internet is kind of like a
>kiosk. You just post any old notice on it.

This is another place where we will just have to agree to disagree,
Charles, as I see it as a wondrous, joyous thing whenever -everyone-
is encouraged to use the web as both reader -and- user, as I do
believe that's what the web is meant to be.

I don't see any reason why the kiosk model is inappropriate.  I
certainly don't think that one single person should have to approve
all content; believe me, I've -had- that job before, and it just
doesn't scale well when you have more than, say, 3 people doing
work in an organization.

Such a policy generally serves to have a chilling effect on expression
on the web and leads to far fewer people actually using the web to
communicate, lest they "get something wrong" and be leaped upon by
some local or remote XHTML expert who can't abide <b> when <strong>
is meant.

Er, not that I know any people like that.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/