RE: server side images for geographic mapping data

At 11:38 AM 2001-01-18 -0600, Schuur, Shawn M wrote:
>We have a customer services center that can be used to order any products
>over the phoneline, email or fax or through the website.

Are maps in tactile media (of quality equal to what you can get with a Tiger
device) offered as part of this product offering?  If not, you should review
why not.  Someone should be able to go through a Web, IVR, or
voice-to-call-center dialog and home in on the geographical region where the
answer lies, and then request a map in hardcopy, with tactile format as an
available option.  If that is not what you offer, there should be a good story
as to why this constitutes undue burden.  USGS can clearly afford a few Tigers
at service centers or Kinkos around the country, and the software to do the
formatting of the map output only needs to be done once.  If the customer is
willing to pay and wait for the shipping of the end product, it is hard to
imagine why the service is not offered.

For a device (e.g. Tiger) in this price class it makes much more sense that
the
device is maitained by an ASV and not the consumer.  So the Government Service
should do the printing in this case and not the consumer.  User fees may
apply,
but with this business model they can be reasonable.

Al