Re: MouseOver in Netscape

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:08:56 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> 1) Image-maps are rectangular while your map, or the objects in your image

This is not a restriction for client side maps.  They may be polygonal,
or circular.

> if(bVer >= 4 && navigator.javaEnabled()) {;
>    loadSound = true;
> }

If you can possibly avoid this test, do so.  It is better to test whether
particular methods are defined.  This sort of version test can fail for
browsers from a different supplier that still support the feature.

> <area shape="rect" coords="545,4,708,59" href="#null"
> onMouseOver="soundPlay('play','rollSoundWalnut');window.status='status msg';
> return true;" >

You should almost certainly return false here to prevent the link taking.

alt is a mandatory attribute.

Personally, I consider this to be as bad as one of the common dead link
alternatives to javascript: popup(..), in which onclick is used, but
the href is given as "#".  Actually, area has a nohref attribute,
although I suspect it is really intended to cancel href within a sub-area.
However, you need to sure that there are non-audio alternatives.

This code will produce a large menu of dead links when accessed using
Lynx.

Complete duplicate message in pseudo-HTML (not a <p> in sight) deleted.