Re: Disturbing trend in tables

From: Davey Leslie <davey@inx-jp.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:26:38 +0900
To: Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>, "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>
CC: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Thus spake Frank Tobin on 01.1.14 2:31 PM at ftobin@uiuc.edu:

> Unfortunately, the hard part about promoting this way of thinking to
> others who don't understand the approach is that the concept of
> "factorization of work" is fairly foreign to most who haven't had at least
> a small smathering of CS education.  Of course, factorization through

What Charles describes (about writing HTML with XML in mind) is exactly what
I do too--but only because it makes sense.

But here's my point: I've never heard of 'factorization of work' and don't
have the slightest 'smattering of CS education' (I was an English major long
long ago). But this concept (of doing it right the first time so you don't
have to come back and do it again for more money) I've been able to sell to
all my clients. Admittedly, I sometimes have to remind them what we're doing
and why, but I've never lost a contract over it. (Knock on wood!)

I think clients are smarter than you give them credit for, Frank.

Your Pal,
Davey Leslie