Re: Examples of checkpoint 6.4?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:17:38 -0500 (EST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Something like that (but there is a problem with onchange in some browsers
like IE and Netscape).

There are defined semantics for the A element (and there are for the submit
button as well). Using a javascript instead of this is a bad move. In the new
DOM 2 specification for events there is an activate event, which applies to
elements like A and submit buttons, and is device independent. This is
available in SVG.

Charles McCN

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, David Woolley wrote:

  > Does anyone have a good example of checkpoint 6.4, "For scripts and applets,
  > ensure that event handlers are input device-independent  in action" ?

  What I think they are really saying is use "onfocus" and "onchange" rather
  than "onclick".

  On that topic, it seems to me that HTML is missing an analogue for
  onsubmit for A elements.

until 6 January 2001 at:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France