Tables and Screen reader question

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:19:44 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Can people please say which screen readers can identify the row and column
headings for a table cell?

As far as I am aware, this cannot be done using Lynx (which doesn't preserve
the required information) and cannot be done using Windows 2000 Narrator.

I believe it can be done using emacspeak (at any rate, it is possible to go
up or down the column to find a header at the top or bottom, and left or
right to find headers at the sides, which is equivalent to what visual
scanning enables).

Are there any other possiblities? When I tried with JAWS (I am no expert, and
I had an old version) I couldn't get the information. I can't get it using
the built-in speech capability of iCab - that does speak the table cell by
cell, including the summary. Same for MacLynx.

Mac IE 5.0 and Netscape 4.7 do not provide speech output options.

Charles McCN

until 6 January 2001 at:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France