Screen reader question: data table documentation

From: Reidy Brown <rbrown@blackboard.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:56:08 -0500
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I'm trying to implement WAIS 5.1 (For data tables, identify row and column
headers) as shown on the WAI site:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#identifying-table-rows-columns

Jaws 3.7 doesn't read the headers in their sample code:
<TR>
         <TH id="header1">Name</TH>
         <TH id="header2">Cups</TH>
         <TH id="header3" abbr="Type">Type of  Coffee</TH>
         <TH id="header4">Sugar?</TH>
     <TR>
         <TD headers="header1">T. Sexton</TD>
         <TD headers="header2">10</TD>
         <TD headers="header3">Espresso</TD>
         <TD headers="header4">No</TD>

It will read a table summary, but doesn't associate the header with the data
cell it corresponds to. (Or I'm not configuring it properly.)

Here's how the WAI says it should be read:

Caption: Cups of coffee consumed by each senator
           consumed by each senator, the type of coffee
          (decaf or regular), and whether taken with sugar.
  Name: T. Sexton, Cups: 10, Type: Espresso, Sugar: No
  Name: J. Dinnen, Cups: 5, Type: Decaf, Sugar: Yes

Can anyone recommend a different screen reader to test this on? Is there any
screen reader that supports this yet? I can't implement this until I find a
way to test it.

Thanks,
Reidy

Reidy Brown