automatic redirection to flash page

From: Pat Byrne <pat@glasgowwestend.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:34:38 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

I have been asked to comment on the accessibility of the following feature
that is being developed from my University Web site:

"What I am looking to set up is that when you go to www.somesite.org (not
the real URL), the script will not ask you to download the browser, it will
automatically take you to the non-flash homepage. If it detects the
plug-in, it takes you to the flash version."

The flash version has many problems in terms of accessibility. Apart from
that and the lack of choice for users who happen to have the flash plugin
installed are there other reasons why this might not be a good idea?

Thanks,
Jim

--

Glasgow West End: Pat's Guide: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk

Guide to all that's best in Glasgow's West End: What's On, Eating Out,
Shopping, Flat Hunting, Local Characters, Classified Ads., Community
Pinboard, Art for Sale and Free Photographs to download.

ScotConnect:
Quick to load, accessible Web sites - built with the minimum of fuss.

Jim and Pat Byrne