Re: screen reader; now: user testing

From: <tommc@scheitlin.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:17:14 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hiya.

I have to say I think there is value in a screen reader simulation --
but I think it is most effective early in the accessible design
learning curve, when a designer says "What does this thing look and
sound like? I can't even imagine it." I use simulations and examples
where it's helpful -- we all have.

For that, there is at least one simulation at
http://www.websavvy-access.org/resources/formexample.shtml

To really get to know the software takes using it and Home Page
Reader is a reasonably-priced option for that.

To really get to know the user experience takes watching the user.
Sitting with someone who has to use a screen reader to be able to
function with a computer will reveal surprising hiccups and a lot of
insight. And that is the sort of learning that will help the most
with applying accessible design to web sites.

Now I'm going off to follow Al's leads.

. . / tom mcCain

tom@crittur.com
http://www.crittur.com