IE6 and 'Standards-Compliant Mode'

From: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:58:47 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I am just looking for some clarification on an article
on Microsoft's site about IE6 and CSS, url

under the heading 'Fix the Box Instead of Thinking
Outside It', is the following statement :-

'This section describes the way Internet Explorer 6
Public Preview or later versions calculate the width
and height properties of an element when you use the
!DOCTYPE declaration to switch on standards-compliant

My questions is as follows :-

1. Does this statement imply that identical code will
behave differently on IE6, depending on the existence
or otherwise of the Document Type Definition?

Clearly I can test this but at this stage don't have a
spare machine to install IE6 on.

Graham Oliver

'Making on-line information accessible'
Mobile Phone : 025-919-724