Re: is LABEL broken, and if so, how? (was Re: Label-for inadequate)

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 20:36:00 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Gregory, I agree that the spec doesn't say how to present the title
attribute, but the user agent does need to present advisory title attribute
to the user somehow. So I have several questions:

1. How does a developer offer advisory information about the control and
also label it?
     use FIELDSET, LABEL, and TITLE?

2. How should the advisory title attribute be rendered in a visual browser?
     tooltip?
   how in the audio browser?
     some key to speak advisory information?

3. Should the rendering be consistent from browser to browser?

gregory said:
i think that what you and thatch are seeking is a meta-label, such as that
already provided--admittedly, in a very constrained manner--by LEGEND...
therefore, i would submit that it is the FIELDSET and LEGEND constructs
that
need to be either "fixed" or extended, not LABEL...

PJ::
I suppose we could group the W2 Gross fields into a fieldset, and the
DIVIDENDS fields into another fieldset.  With the same label, Tax payer and
spouse, labeling the respective fields.  So should the default audio UI
model be to always read the fieldset before each field, or only when it
changes?

Regards,
Phill