Re: Accessibility and mailto links

Hi Kynn
Yes I see it in Opera, under File, Preferences, Email
As for whether this is a real problem or a theoretical
one, I am not sure.
I personally find it annoying when my browser chooses
to launch an email client I don't use (I use web based
email), but alternatively in this response
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001AprJun/0621.html
Miraz says she doesn't like form based 'email'.
But these are basically only annoyances that impact on
usability.

I have to make recommendations for the best way to get
site feedback in terms of accessibility, so I am on an
intelligence gathering exercise.

The way mailto links are implemented on most sites I
have seen does seem to be a breach of checkpoint 10.1
because they don't contain a warning that the current
window is about to change.

Cheers
Graham

--- Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com> wrote: >
At 08:57 PM 6/4/2001 , Graham Oliver wrote:
> ><graham>
> >This is news to me Kynn, where do I configure this
> >behaviour?
>
> Depends on your browser.  :)  For example, I can
> configure
> Opera 5 to use Opera, an external client, or the
> system
> default.
>
> If there's an argument that more options should be
> available,
> then that's an argument for improving user agent
> support (and
> not refraining from using mailto: links).  However,
> I have not
> heard of many people who have experienced
> accessibility problems
> from using mailto: links.  Is this a real problem or
> a theoretical
> problem?
>
> --Kynn
>
> --