Re: what users really want (was Re: Frames & Font Sizes)

At 04:37 PM 6/4/2001 -0400, gregory j. rosmaita wrote:
>GJR: FRAMES definitely _do_ help some users at a priority 1 level, FRAMES
>definitely _do_ hinder some users at a priority 1 level, and FRAMES
>obviously annoy a whole heap of users...

Thanks for the explanation, Gregory.

>an AT may need "write" access to an application's document object model in
>order to enable me to review the contents of the protected document, but it
>is prevented from obtaining them due to the method employed to digitally
>ensure the integrity of the rebate...

Actually, I would like to clarify this. The fault clearly lies in the
document, and let me explain why. AT vendors, such as ourselves, don't need
write access to legacy documents; we just need read access. The problem is
neither the author, nor Adobe, is giving it (read access) to us. Before
Acrobat 5, you could lock or not lock (meaning that the user could not or
could update content) your document structure. In Acrobat 5, a new security
bit exists stating that the user can not update content, but they can
access it (through an API such as MSAA). If the author of this document
you're having problems with would open their PDF in Acrobat 5, set the
security bit that allows access, and save the PDF, you'd be set. Due to the
number of PDFs publicly available, however, this isn't a logical solution.
We are working with (and pushing) Adobe to resolve the issue. In the
meantime, contacting the author is a temporary work around (assuming that
they are willing to work with you).

>so, aaron, as an end user of the technology that your company develops, if
>you were to ask me what your users really want, i'd have to reply, simply
>the ability to simply turn on their computer, PDA, or cell phone and
>interact with the world on their own terms...

You are absolutely right. Users just want "it" to work...period. And that
is what drives us. Thanks for your comments.

>gregory.
>ABSURDITY, n.  A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's
>own opinion.                -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devils' Dictionary_
>                Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net
>      Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html
>     VICUG NYC: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html
>    Read 'Em & Speak: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/books/index.html