Re: Label-for inadequate (was RE: 10.4 Re: Checkpoints 10.4 and 10.5

Charles McCN wrote:
> The label redirects focus to the control.

What?  The label doesn't redirect anything, it only makes an association.
Focus is always on the control and occasionally, depending on the browser
and the HTML coding, the visual focus indicator, the little dashed box,
surrounds both the label and the control.  The keyboard or other input can
re-direct focus, so I'm not sure what you mean.

> It was a design decision, and until then there was no reason why a
> label could not have said that it applied to two or more elements

My question is that I haven't found any rationale for the design decision.
So when was this decision made?  If there was no reason before, what was
the reason that came along?

> (except that it is slightly messy to work out the syntax).

See my example syntax, borrowed heavily from the headers syntax, in
response to Jim's post.

> There is a different semantic attached to headers.

But basically I don't see any difference between the HEADERS attribute
associating the cells with headings and the FOR attribute associating
LABELs with INPUTs.

> Oh, and label just makes an association between some existing content and
> control explicit.

exactly my point.

> There may be cases where the same thing is needed without
> adding content - this is why there is a title attribute.

I'm not adding content. Adding a title attribute is, in a sense, adding
content and semantics into one via the natural language, especially in
Jim's example of title="Tax payers's W2 Gross".  Label is an association
while title is additional information.

Regards,
Phill