Re: images / alt and image maps

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:50:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: Rebecca Cox <rebecca@cwa.co.nz>
cc: "Larry G. Hull" <Larry.G.Hull@gsfc.nasa.gov>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On Mon, 28 May 2001, Rebecca Cox wrote:
  It seems to be OK in ie 5 on a mac.
CMN IE on Mac is different from mthe windows version - it does many things
better and some things worse.

RC
  What confuses me about image maps, is that, even where there is alt
  text, if I switch images off in my browser, I get nothing, just blank
  areas where the image would be, running the mouse over the image area
  doesn't get me the alt text. If I click on part of the image area,
  the image appears. I guess its one of those things that you really
  have to test with a screen reader.

  I'm also still wondering whether it would be good to still have text
  links, for anyone who doesn't see well enough to read any text etc
  that might be on the image.
CMN
It is good to have for people who cannot figure out what is going on in the
image because  it is too small to see, and it is good to have generally for
opeople wo do not get the images but are using a "standard" browser, or an
older screenreader.

cheers

Charles