Re: accessibility, javascript, dhtml and code examples

> if you are using client-side form validation, whether it be javascript or
> other methods, you need to have server-side form validation installed for
> those who have problems, no scripting or disabled scripting..

I'd add, those who are not permitted to use scripting.  This is probably
not a problem for Jon's target audience.  Their problem is that they
are probably particularly vulnerable to scripting based security
vulnerabilities as they may have difficulty learning when it is and is
not safe to override security warnings, or recognizing when the browser
is doing something that is unreasonable for the request made, and in
keeping completely up to date with Microsoft Critical Updates, and
Netscape's equivalents.

The other reason for validating is that malicious users can bypass any
forms or client side validation and submit completely bogus responses in
an attempt to subvert security on the server.

I think, though, that Jon is mainly interested in the use of scripts to
"enhance" the "user experience" and would be better off pursuing these
questions in non-accessibility forums, where finding hacks to make things
work on all recent versions of Netscape and IE are fairly standard questions.
(Actually, I think he would be better trying to find a language designed
for multimedia presentations. A lot of these problems are the result of
choosing a language that was designed for a different purpose, simply
because an interpreter for that language can be assumed to be on all,
vaguely recent, PCs.)

> i see this was cross-posted and am replying to both.

Unfortunately these mailing lists behave like moderated, albeit
auto-moderated, newsgroups, on which the rules is that you do not
cross-post to moderated groups.  The moderators of these lists, who get
articles from non-subscribers, tend not to enforce this sort of policy,
but it still results in delays in the non-subscribed groups.  Unlike
USENET, the article is not held back in all lists until authorised.