RE: Server Side Image Maps (was: images / alt and image maps)

Server Side Image Maps (was: images / alt and image maps)Hi Bruce,

Actually, the maps at MapBlast are image buttons and according to HTML 4:
<quote> When a pointing device is used to click on the image, the form is
submitted and the click coordinates passed to the server <endquote>.  So
they behave like server-side image maps but technically are not. Do you know
of other examples of server-side maps in use that are not image buttons?

You said that the provision about available geometric shapes applies to maps
where each pixel is, in effect, a separate hot link. If so, how then can one
hope to have equivalent text links for the hot spots?

I want to emphasize that my example of King County was not raising the issue
of whether or not that could be a client site map; instead I was pointing
out that making their navigation banner a server-side map with text links at
the bottom of the page provided a "skip navigation" technique and certainly
did not interfere with access.
Jim
jim@jimthatcher.com
Accessibility Consulting