images / alt and image maps

From: Rebecca Cox <rebecca@cwa.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:53:45 +1200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
HI all,

I've got two questions to ask, so will send a couple of emails.

Regarding image maps and "alt" text & "redundant text links"

I've been having a look at the technique outlined at

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/

under "7.4.2 Redundant text links for client-side image maps"

(where it has an example using object & A to code the imagemap and its links)

I tried this example code, and when you turn images off in the
browser, you get text links, which is great, and will fulfill the
needs of those not using images.

I would think that "best practice" would be to still put actual text
links on the page somewhere as well, for anyone who surfs with images
on, but can't see well enough to see the image clearly.

Opinions would be appreciated!

Cheers

Rebecca