Re: data table question

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:53:33 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Dona Patrick <patrickd@calib.com>@w3.org on 05/17/2001 11:41:15 AM
> We have a number of data tables on a file that we are converting to an
html
> document that use shading to indicate information.  For instance the
shaded
> rows mean the information contained in those rows is optional (for a
task).

> Any ideas of how to convey the information about the shaded cells to a
> visitor using a screen reader?

I think you need to be concerned of both blind, low vision, color blind,
and cognitive users. So I would suggest adding an asterisk or super script
1 on the row header and a note at the bottom of the table that that row is
optional.  The addition of the background shading is useful, but not
sufficient.  If it wasn't a whole row of cells, I would also consider using
the word "optional" in parentheses in each cell.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins