Re: need a new tag

At 08:00 +0100 10/05/2001, David Woolley wrote:
>However, what you describe appears to be one the most classic uses
>of hypertext, so I'd have to argue that the most standard way of
>providing this function is with <a href..> elements.

I've been pondering on this.

The pages I'm writing are computer-related courses for beginners. We
have an expectation that amongst the general audience a number of
people will have difficulty with English and so we need to be sure
that the material is easy to understand. Part of that "easy to
understand" is a desire to allow people to keep reading on the one
page, not to open new windows, to use plain language.

If we consider the draft paragraphs below I think there are two
"glossary" things going on. In the last para I link to a separate
page explaining concepts such as "click and drag" etc. These
explanations are several sentences long. In the first para though I
deliberately use the word "format" which is then effectively
explained in the following sentence.

I want to be able to use a Tooltip for the word "format". We need to
teach the word, but some readers may stumble over it before reaching
the next sentence, and that's where the Tooltip / Title attribute
comes in.

It seems to me that we have tags for acronyms and abbreviations which
allow this - presumably primarily on accessibility grounds. A
"glossary" tag would make pages more accessible linguistically.

******
Format Text

Once you've written your document you might think it looks rather,
well, ordinary. You can now format individual words or letters,
sentences, paragraphs or even the whole document. You can change
colours, sizes, fonts, margins and more.

[snip] Note that you can use the normal selection techniques such as
click and drag, double click or shift-click. [snip]

Glossary: Not sure what these selection methods mean, how to use
them? The Glossary <link to another page> will help.
******

Cheers,

Miraz

--