RE: Form labeling and user agent support

From: ADAM GUASCH-MELENDEZ <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 13:47:42 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
That requirement states:

"When electronic forms are designed to be completed on-line, the form shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues."

As I read it, the same question applies: does using form labeling "allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements, and functionality" given the current state of user agent support? I see no real difference between this and the relevant sections of the WCAG. An answer to one answers the other.

If you're wondering why I asked my question in the context of the WCAG instead of the federal guidelines, it's because I find the Access Board's work to be a decent start, but on the whole a watered-down and insufficient standard. I'll comply with it, of course, but I aim for a higher standard

>>> "Cynthia Waddell" <cynthia.waddell@psinetcs.com> 05/02/01 12:37pm >>>
Will you not be following the requirements of the Electronic and Information
Technology Accessibility Standards for web forms at Section 1194.22(n)?

Cynthia Waddell