Re: Should accesskey focus or activate?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:55:15 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> accesskey.  If UA's behavior is adjustable, default could be based
> on average user behavior, but I still think it should be set to the
> safest.

This is the opposite of the policy used by mass market software suppliers,
e.g. the big two browsers have Javascript enabled by default, even though
it is the basis of most security compromises and, prior to Win 2K, at least,
Windows came with file system protections almost completely nullified.

Two factors are support costs (people aware of safety issues are more
likely to be able to fix their own system than people blocked by safety
measures) and safety often conflicts with the provision of glossy
features (in the web world the benefit to an unsafe configuration is
for the content provider, not the user, at least with scripting).