use of the "d" link for images

From: Jeff Isom <jeff@cpd2.usu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:55:05 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I understand the purpose of the "d" link is to provide the user with a
description of a complex graphic.  Should all images have "d" links or only
those that are complex?  In other words, although a description of an image
may not be essential to the content of the site, would it be a good idea to
give the user and opportunity to experience the graphic in a more meaningful
way?

In addition, it seems that using the "d" tag could be confusing to the user
if there were a number of complex graphics on the page.  As the user tabbed
throught the links they would hear "link d" . . . "link d" . . . "link d".
They would have to work to figure out what image the link refers to.  I know
this is convention for describing images, but is it the best approach?

Jeff

Jeffrey Isom
Instructional Designer
Web Accessibility in Mind (http://www.webaim.org)