Access keys

From: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:26:33 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,

One of the issues I've been looking at is the limitations of screen reader
technology to deduce the intent or purpose of something.  The screen
reader can detect the existence of something, but has a much harder
time recognizing why it is there.

For example, screen reader technology can probably easily determine that
accesskeys were specified, but may not know how to explain why and when
they should be used.

The solution I keep coming back to is providing textual explanations.
For the accesskeys, the approach I've been looking at is to have
an invisible image and then have the ALT attribute contain a description
of the access keys.  In that way the accesskey info doesn't affect
the visual appearance, but is available to screen reader users.

Scott

PS  Unfortunately, the approach isn't helpful for disabled people
who don't use screen readers.

PSS  Perhaps XHTML needs a tags or attributes for textual information?