Re: Access/France --GuideDog travel troubles

From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:07:04 -0400
To: tvraman@almaden.ibm.com, daniel dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, george kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>
Raman,

I'm aware of some of these problems, and have been encountering increasing
problems around wheelchair access on several EU airlines recently as well.
(For instance two weeks ago I was pulled off a flight in the Netherlands
because they wanted to dismantle my wheelchair piece by piece.) Have
started to follow up with a few organizations. If anyone is aware of a
European-Union-wide effort related to airline accessibility, could you send
info to me at jbrewer@w3.org (please don't reply to the list).

Raman, I've responded to you in more detail off-line.

I suggest that any others commenting on this message do it off-line unless
it adds information to the travel alert related to W3C meetings that Raman
has already provided here.

Thanks,

- Judy

At 02:49 PM 4/13/01 -0700, T. V. Raman wrote:
>Judy and Daniel --
>This is a note to alert you and the rest of the WAI with
>respect to travel through France --specifically on Air
>France.
>
>I was not allowed to board an Air France flight in Paris
>returning from the voice browser meeting in January
>--the excuse used was "you dont have a French muzzle."
>
>George Kerscher had similar trouble the following week in
>January --
>this week George was once again thrown out of his flight by
>Air France in Paris..
>George was not allowed to board by the captain
>saying "there is going to be turbulence on this flight and
>that therefore the dog needs to go in the cargo"--
>

>1) Please alert access users travelling to W3C meetings
>   about this problem.
>2) Daniel --could you check for your part on what French
>   laws are?
>

>--Raman
>
>--
>Best Regards,
>--raman
>
>IBM Research: Human Language Technologies
>Phone:        1 (408) 927 2608
>Fax:        1 (408) 927 3012
>Email:        tvraman@us.ibm.com
>WWW:      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman
>PGP:          http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc
>Snail:        IBM Almaden Research Center,
>              650 Harry Road
>              San Jose 95120

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)