Re: <PRE> tag

Our cascading style sheets are still under development as we have to meet
requirements set  by another department of the Canadian Government.  As they
are still setting the standards that we have to comply with...we are awaiting
their regulations that we have to meet....It's coming but...for now I am
trying to at least make these pages accessible with what I have to work with.

I got the idea of using the <pre> tag from my U.S. Social Security Admin.
(our U.S. equivalent)
see example http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Texts/grk_agt.html

As you can see on our site legal agreements of this nature have a lot of
clauses that have to be indented to be similar in format to the actual
agreement.
http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/isp/internat/countries/aut-c1-e.shtml

An good example of the type of formatting for our agreements can be found at:
http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/isp/internat/countries/atg-a1-e.pdf
But of course we have to have the equivalent in HTML as well.

Laura D'Angelo
Technical Officer
Human Resources Development Canada
Income Security Programs
Internet / IntrAnet
laura.dangelo@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca
http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/isp
---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn@reef.com>, on 2001-04-10 11:56 AM:

At 08:38 AM 4/10/2001, laura.dangelo@hrdc-drhc.gc.ca wrote:
>We have some International Pension Agreements that are next to impossible to
>format  without using the <blockquote> tag and since we can not use

Why would they be impossible to format without using <blockquote>?
I'm confused.

If they are block quotations, then they should be marked up using
using <blockquote>.

If you need to, say, indent sections of text, then you should use
Cascading Style Sheets to produce that indentation effect.

The <pre> tag really should be avoided in most cases.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison