Re: Skipping navigation tactics

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:28:27 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> As such, a "skip navigation links" is of no use to a user accessing the page
> visually. But for someone using a screen reader or self-voicing browser

AND with a pointing device.  Although you may be able to see the body text,
without one, you may have to tab a long way to get to any real hypertext
links.  (Note that is more severe when using a visual browser, Lynx, a text
only browser, makes it very easy to search for a link and also allows
one to display a number against each link and just type the number.  By
easy to search, I mean that one needs to press one, unshifted, main keyboard
key, type a search string and press return.  The key is standard for many
programs and there is no delay for a dialogue box to render.)