Re: ACCESSKEY

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 joeclark@joeclark.org wrote:

  Accesskeys are *single* characters. Tabindexes can be a number up to
  five digits long, if memory serves (and need not be consecutive-- the
  order 1, 2, 900, 12000, 12001, 65000 is effectively the same as 10,
  11, 12, 13, 14, 15).

Actually tabindex can be from -32000 to 32000 (Roughly - the exact number is
2^15 - the same as the number of bytes there really are in a 32kb memory).

  >Alternatively, is there a screen reader, Browser or any vehicle I can
  >reference for the user to use if they want to have this feature - keep
  >the code going down the number scale because there is at least something
  >out there that will be able to execute it?

  Some Windows IE browsers let you type accesskes. iCab on Macintosh
  does, and actually displays what the keys are. (Look at some of my
  sites in iCab, like the AccessiBlog
  <http://www.joeclark.org/accessiblog.html>, for examples.)

Amaya also implements accesskey, and I belive that Home Page Reader does, but
I am not at all certain. And the next version of Amaya will almsot certainly
support tabbing from link to link. Accesskey is actively being worked on for
Mozilla too, and other browsers.

cheers

charles McCN