ACCESSKEY

From: Emond Elizabeth <emond_elizabeth@bah.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:48:02 -0400
To: W3C <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I am developing a web site and am trying to make it "state of the art"
accessible.  I am running into a problem as to how to properly code so
the screen reader/browsers can read the ACCESSKEY attribute.

HTML 4.0 standards, 17.11.2 is very clear on how to do this.  What is
happening is there appears to be a limit as to how many references can
be put on a page.  I think the sentence in this standard of -> "An
access key is a single character from the document character set."<-
is the problem and hope someone out there can tell me how to code for
more than 10 and/or more than A-Z (single character?) references.

The page I am developing is functioning like a Portal page.  I do not
have all the links yet (from the customer) but I am already up to 53.
Is there any way I can have a user jump down to link #48, for instance,
without having to tab one by one by one down the page each time to
finally get to #48?  This will be a pretty high visibility web site so
what I do "wrong" will probably be noticed.

We ran the page through JAWS (alt, 31, Enter) and JAWS will not read the
#31, it reads three then stops and takes me to the location for the
hyperlink coded as ACCESSKEY="3".

Alternatively, is there a screen reader, Browser or any vehicle I can
reference for the user to use if they want to have this feature - keep
the code going down the number scale because there is at least something
out there that will be able to execute it?

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth