Re: Kynn's Soapbox: Accessibility and Usability (was: accessibility makeovers)

Scott Luebking did a bit of stuff some time ago. I believe that there is also
work in the voice area, although I don't know if it is freely available, that
is relevant.

cheers

Charles

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 1:37 PM -0800 3/29/01, Graham Oliver wrote:
  >Kynn
  >Thanks for your soapbox stuff, I enjoyed it and felt
  >challenged by it at the same time.
  >I would just like to ask you about one thing you said.
  >
  >>>can you even make a _good_ user interface for
  >>>screenreaders, based on the graphical browser user's
  >>>interface? No. No, you can't.
  >
  >Is this simply your opinion, or based on research?

  Opinion, but a relatively informed one.  There's precious little
  research on this particular topic -- I don't know of any usability
  studies of screenreader users using "accessible" web designs
  (compared with them using "inaccessible" designs or with
  user-centric dynamic web interfaces).

  Now, if one of you enterprising research geniuses out there wants
  to work on this, I'll be glad to contribute as much help as my
  schedule allows!

  --Kynn